Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Undercover Boss = Genius Idea

I'm an admitted tvaholic. Even though I do love television, I'm not just a huge reality tv fan. I do make exceptions here and there (Project Runway, anyone?), but all in all, I go for scripted shows.

One tv show that has really captured my attention this season is CBS' Undercover Boss.


It premiered right after the Super Bowl, and told the story of the Waste Management CEO. In the weeks since, we've seen the CEO of White Castle, 7-11, Hooters and Churchill Downs all participate. They do the tasks that don't get much attention -- lots of cleaning, making coffee and washing dishes.

At the end of the hour, the CEO brings in his fellow coworkers to reveal himself as their boss. Generally, he does something to increase the potential for a greater life. For example, the Waste Management CEO gave someone a promotion that came with a raise. The Churchill Downs CEO named a race after a Jockey Valet's daughter, who had passed away in recent months.


Not only is it a great show, it's great PR and Marketing for the companies involved. Those watching at home on a Sunday night might suddenly crave a White Castle burger. People who have never watched a horse race might tune in to the next Kentucky Derby. They are getting their name out there, and certainly expanding their brand. Have you watched any of the episodes? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!