Monday, April 19, 2010

Cookie Cutter RomCom Characters?

When I was in high school, I signed up for the Intro to Journalism course that was offered. I ended up loving it. I think the biggest reason was my teacher -- an awesome, amazing woman who was so passionate about journalism that her enthusiasm sparkled and radiated around her. She had gotten into Journalism late in life; in fact, she got into teaching Journalism because she was the only person at the high school that had any training in the field. She took the additional position, and decided to learn all she could about it. She got so good at it that for many, many, many years my high school's paper won local, state, regional and national awards. It was big time.

Before my Journalism teacher came along, I already had a healthy passion for reading and writing. As I mentioned before, I'm a bibliophile. As you might have guessed from reading my blog, I'm a writer. Reading and writing are two things that I love. Which pretty much brings me to the point of this post.

I was watching ABC Family last night and the new Hilary Duff movie came on. It's called Beauty and the Briefcase. Normally, I love these types of movies. Fluffy RomComs are great when you just want to veg out. You know what I mean.
The main premise of the movie is Lane (Duff's character) wants to write for a living. She ends up getting a shot at a cover story for Cosmopolitan. (Reality time out: You've written a couple of small pieces for small regional magazines, and all of a sudden, you get a chance to write a COVER STORY for Cosmo? Don't think so. Reality time in.) She goes undercover in a "business setting" to find her "magic man."

Again, I'm all about some RomComs, but have you ever noticed that when in doubt over what the heroine should do for a living, script writers generally pull out the writer or journalist card? Don't believe me? Have a look at these popular movies.






Now, I'm all for showcasing women's abilities to do great things. I like the fact that Journalism is getting good treatment in Hollywood's version of life. I like the marketing and branding aspect of it. However, I just don't know how realistic this is. According to this site, which happens to be a syllabus for a Journalism course, while half of all students enrolled in Journalism schools or programs are women, newsrooms are still mostly male. The only recent RomCom that I can remember where the male lead was a Journalist was 27 Dresses.

I know RomComs aren't the real world, but do you think I'm making too much out of this? Thoughts?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!