Sunday, August 14, 2011

divergent



You know, I find it is easy to get caught up with what the trends are in whatever you are doing. For example, the new nail polish trend is neutral. I'm liking it. The newest baking trend is cake pops. Still haven't made them myself, but I think they're cute. With books, I am somewhat picky with what I read. I bought a somewhat completed well-known series mainly based on reviews from Goodreads and the like. Now don't get me wrong, I love Goodreads. I have learned, though, for it to not affect my thought process too much. The well known series that everyone loved, I was just MEH about. You know that feeling? That being said, I ordered this book based on reviews and recommendations, some of which came from Goodreads. And I'm glad I did. You should definitely check it out. On to the review:

I just got finished reading this. Wow. Just wow. I'm trying to put into words how I feel about reading this book. I keep wavering about my rating, too. I think I'm going to split the difference and say that this book is a strong 4.5.

Veronica Roth did an excellent job creating a new world with a vibrant, rich landscape in her debut, Divergent. The world is fleshed out, as are the characters. You learn more and more about the protagonists and the antagonists as the book flows chapter to chapter. It's kind of like peeling back layers of an onion. Just when you think you know something, something else is revealed in a new and different way.

Dystopian seems to be THE thing right now, so I can see why people would want to relate this book to The Hunger Games trilogy. Honestly, I caught flashes of it myself when I read it. That being said, Roth's world was new and exciting.

Beatrice Prior and her brother Caleb are both coming up on the day that they must choose their factions. Future Chicago divided its citizens into five factions- each representing a characteristic, or trait if you will, that they thought served them best. There are those who can choose to be selfless, those who can choose to widen their knowledge, those to speak only truth, those who can be friendly to all, or those who can be brave above all else. Beatrice and Caleb come from the selfless faction. But will they stay there?

In the end, brother and sister split, and leave their family unit. Beatrice goes off to the Dauntless faction, and meets new friends along the way - Will, Christina, Al and Four. Tris has run-ins with enemies within her new faction, too, like Drew, Molly and Peter. She learns about them all, their old lives and families, but most of all learns about her life and her self.

I really love the character interactions. It shows how real human nature is - we all want to be the best at something (To view spoiler, highlight)  (maybe not like Peter with Edward, or Christina with Tris) and we all want to feel loved and accepted. Beatrice's relationships with her parents were fleshed out throughout the plot, which was fantastic. And I loved Four. (To view spoiler, highlight) When I first read about Marcus' son Tobias, I kinda figured out that he would be Four. It made sense that two people who believed they were so different could come together in a new way.

All in all, a great read. I can't wait for the next book Insurgent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!