Friday, August 12, 2011

saving ceecee honeycutt

I love a good Southern book. Unlike some Southern books that I've read recently, Saving CeeCee Honeycutt knows the right mixture of heart touching and heart wrenching, cute and quirky, realistic and fantastical.

Cecilia Rose "CeeCee" Honeycutt has had a hard life. Her mother is the crazy Southern loon, which wouldn't be all that bad, except for they aren't in the South. CeeCee and her family live in Ohio, where they are the outcasts because of her mother's behavior. Her father is largely absent in her life, and CeeCee only has one true friend.

When tragedy strikes, CeeCee moves in with her great Aunt Tootie, in the far off place of Savannah, Georgia. Here, the air is hotter, the words are sweeter and times floats softly by. CeeCee begins to heal and repair her poor, broken heart. Along the way, she has adventures, upsets, surprises and meets wild, zany and utterly charming Southern women who welcome her with open arms and wrap her in a hug.

I thoroughly enjoyed this debut by Beth Hoffman. Hoffman writes well, and the story seems to float its way along the pages.

A lovely read, one that I would recommend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!