Thursday, February 2, 2012

cinder



Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Release date: January 3, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Pages: 390
Source: Library
Goodreads: {via}

Summary:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

I went into this book with great trepidation. I wasn't totally sure I wanted to read it, as the synopsis didn't reach out and grab me. 

While the synopsis failed, the writing of Marissa Meyer succeeded. I began reading Cinder and was instantly drawn in. 

Cinder is a futuristic retelling of Cinderella, but really, it's so much more. Cinder has such heart, such spunk and such drive. She's a go-getter, providing for her family with her mechanic skills. Most everyone that knows her doesn't realize she's a cyborg – part machine, part human – but the ones that do know look down on her for that fact. 

The secondary characters, including Dr. Erland, Prince Kai, the evil stepmother and stepsister, the horrible Lunar Queen, and even the android Iko were well rounded and fleshed out. The writing that described Iko really amazed me, because I began to feel for a robot – something I'm definitely not used to while reading. In my mind's eye, I pictured Iko as a girl version of Disney's Wall-E, with a velvet ribbon nestled atop her head. 

The setting was interesting. While we got some background and history of the world, we were left with holes that I found myself trying to fill. Apparently, in the future, there is a World War III and IV. The people of Earth send a colony up to the moon during this time, and somehow, they become a different race of people. Also during this time, nations as we know them begin dissolving, leaving six large super-countries. Africa, once a whole continent, is now regarded as one province. One hundred twenty-six years later, we arrive on Cinder's doorstep. Even though we were given information, I wanted to know more. I wanted New Beijing described in greater detail. More specifically, though, I wanted to know about certain places that were mentioned, such as Kai's palace, Cinder's workstation and the apartment shared with her stepmother and stepsisters. I just wanted more. 

I would have also liked more twists and turns. I figured out the big "reveal" fairly early on in the book. The book ended on a cliffhanger – another plot device that I saw coming. It is my understanding, however, that there are four books to this series, each tackling a different fairly tale, while incorporating the overarching story into new subplots. I'm excited about that, and can't wait to see how that's going to be done.

All in all, a great debut. Can't wait for the next book, which unfortunately won't be out until 2013. Long wait until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!