Monday, February 27, 2012

a million suns




Title: A Million Suns
Author: Beth Revis 
Release date: January 10, 2012
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 386
Source: Purchased (e-book)
Goodreads: {via}

Summary:
Godspeed was once fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos. It’s been three months. In that time, Amy has learned to hide who she is. Elder is trying to be the leader he’s always wanted to be. But as the ship gets more and more out of control, only one thing is certain: They have to get off the ship.



Review:
I read Across the Universe earlier this year (I know, what took me so long?) and have been anxiously awaiting the sequel A Million Suns. When it became clear that my library wasn't going to get it in the "Popular" library (even though they're usually pretty good about new titles...) I took matters into my own hands and bought it for the Kindle app. 

And I am so glad that I did. Beth Revis has done it again. Suns picks up right where Universe left off. In typical Revis fashion, we're thrown into the action as the ship is in turmoil. Elder officially took the ship off of Phydus and told them the truth. And now, boy can't catch a break. Every one is up in arms and revolting, all in different and varying ways. 

Amy is left somewhat to her own devices, as Elder is now in control of the chip. You can look at this as a good or bad thing, because she's looking for clues – clues that could help the future of the colony on Godspeed and beyond. True to Amy's nature, she constantly gets in difficult situations.

This series is just great. I love the characters, especially Elder and Amy. I love how neither of them are perfect. There's certainly no insta-love here. And I like that. I'm okay with it. While there is an ever-growing attraction between Elder and Amy, they are their own people and question the relationship that they have, much like the reader questions their intentions. I mean, Elder has done some majorly screwy things, and has his faults. Amy, to be fair, has her faults too. But that's what makes them go together, I think. They kind of fit each other like two puzzle pieces.

The mystery in this installment is not as in-your-face mind-blowing as the first book. There were some great twists and turns, but there weren't as many that made me gasp. That being said, I don't feel as if this book fell into the sophomore slump as so many books are prone to do. It advanced the story well, gave us new information, developed an overall plot well, fleshed out the characters even more and gave us gritty and interesting conflict. 

I can't wait until the last book in the trilogy comes out. Only problem is I have to wait a year. Ugh.



So what about you? Have you read it yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!