Title: Halflings
Author: Heather Burch
Author: Heather Burch
Release date: February 1, 2012
Publisher: Zondervan Publishing
Publisher: Zondervan Publishing
Pages: 288
Source: NetGalley
Goodreads: {via}
Summary:
After being inexplicably targeted by an evil intent on harming her at any cost, seventeen-year-old Nikki finds herself under the watchful guardianship of three mysterious young men who call themselves halflings. Sworn to defend her, misfits Mace, Raven, and Vine battle to keep Nikki safe while hiding their deepest secret—and the wings that come with.
A growing attraction between Nikki and two of her protectors presents a whole other danger. While she risks a broken heart, Mace and Raven could lose everything, including their souls. As the mysteries behind the boys’ powers, as well as her role in a scientist’s dark plan, unfold, Nikki is faced with choices that will affect the future of an entire race of heavenly beings, as well as the precarious equilibrium of the earthly world.
A growing attraction between Nikki and two of her protectors presents a whole other danger. While she risks a broken heart, Mace and Raven could lose everything, including their souls. As the mysteries behind the boys’ powers, as well as her role in a scientist’s dark plan, unfold, Nikki is faced with choices that will affect the future of an entire race of heavenly beings, as well as the precarious equilibrium of the earthly world.
Review:
I haven't read just a whole lot of Angel books. They're something that I'm interested in, but just could never find the right one, if you know what I mean. Thankfully, I came across the new series, Halflings, and the first book. I was immediately drawn in – sucked in to the action, story and the origins of the characters.
As a Christian, it is sometimes hard to find stories that relate to what I believe in. I feel as if some authors take the subject matter of Heavenly beings and twist and turn them into something unrecognizable. Heather Burch did not do that. She created a story that I could identify with on many levels. Her characters were well thought out and human, so to speak. They had the normal feelings of teenagers, even though they were anything but normal.
You can certainly tell that the upcoming books in the series will focus on the fight between good and evil. Everything the characters did could lead them down a path. If it is the right path or wrong path is something to be seen. I especially loved this imagery because it's something that is so relevant today for all. Interestingly enough, the sermon yesterday in church was about following the right path, and following the Lord's plan. It was great to see the same message reiterated in popular literature so closely after.
Even if you aren't a religious person, this book is still for you. Honestly, when I was reading the story I was picturing the actors from The Vampire Diaries as the characters in the book. I'm not sure if it's the love triangle between the two "brothers" – one good, and true and firm, one "bad" – and the good girl; whatever it was, I liked it.
Can't wait to read the second book when it comes out later this year. An impressive debut, one that I thoroughly enjoyed.
I received an e-galley courtesy of Zondervan Publishing and NetGalley. This in no way impacted my review of the book.
As a Christian, it is sometimes hard to find stories that relate to what I believe in. I feel as if some authors take the subject matter of Heavenly beings and twist and turn them into something unrecognizable. Heather Burch did not do that. She created a story that I could identify with on many levels. Her characters were well thought out and human, so to speak. They had the normal feelings of teenagers, even though they were anything but normal.
You can certainly tell that the upcoming books in the series will focus on the fight between good and evil. Everything the characters did could lead them down a path. If it is the right path or wrong path is something to be seen. I especially loved this imagery because it's something that is so relevant today for all. Interestingly enough, the sermon yesterday in church was about following the right path, and following the Lord's plan. It was great to see the same message reiterated in popular literature so closely after.
Even if you aren't a religious person, this book is still for you. Honestly, when I was reading the story I was picturing the actors from The Vampire Diaries as the characters in the book. I'm not sure if it's the love triangle between the two "brothers" – one good, and true and firm, one "bad" – and the good girl; whatever it was, I liked it.
Can't wait to read the second book when it comes out later this year. An impressive debut, one that I thoroughly enjoyed.
I received an e-galley courtesy of Zondervan Publishing and NetGalley. This in no way impacted my review of the book.


I have this one sitting on my Kindle from NetGalley :) Maybe I should move it to the top of my list! Now following your blog!
ReplyDelete-Kimberly @ Turning The Pages