Title: Hex Hall
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Release date: March 2, 2010
Publisher: Hyperion Books
Publisher: Hyperion Books
Pages: 323
Source: Library
Goodreads: {via}
Summary:
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.
Review:
Well I certainly didn't see that coming.
But let me back up. My library is pretty fabulous. I have a list of books that I want to read, and I'm slowly but surely making my way down it. I'm going to blame the list as the reason that I haven't read Hex Hall until now.
Hex Hall is unlike any paranormal boarding school romance that I've read before. Weirdly enough, that previous sentence isn't weird – I guess there are quite a few paranormal boarding school romances out there. This one, though, this one is different. Maybe it's Sophie. Maybe it's the twist. What I know is, I loved it.
This was such an easy read. I could pick up right where I left off and be consumed with the story almost immediately. Hawkins' writing is smooth, and really sucks you in. Every part of the story felt true, from the backstory explanations, to the descriptions about the dark forces at work to the lovable characters masquerading as outcasts.
I liked Sophie. Her wit was sharp and biting, without being downright mean. Her voice felt like that of a true teenager, without being too cynical. I could think of people in my life that I could relate to most of the characters. The mean girl clique was just outrageous enough that you felt sorry for them while still sneering at them. The too pretty jock was written in such a way that you saw the softer side to him. The adults in this novel were also refreshing. I don't know what it is about stories that take place at boarding schools, but it never seems as if adults are around. Or if they are around, they're usually nincompoops who don't know anything. The adults in this novel seemed true to life as well. And that was refreshing.
So back to my library– I'm glad it's so awesome because I've put the second book on hold. Can't wait to get it in my greedy little hands.
But let me back up. My library is pretty fabulous. I have a list of books that I want to read, and I'm slowly but surely making my way down it. I'm going to blame the list as the reason that I haven't read Hex Hall until now.
Hex Hall is unlike any paranormal boarding school romance that I've read before. Weirdly enough, that previous sentence isn't weird – I guess there are quite a few paranormal boarding school romances out there. This one, though, this one is different. Maybe it's Sophie. Maybe it's the twist. What I know is, I loved it.
This was such an easy read. I could pick up right where I left off and be consumed with the story almost immediately. Hawkins' writing is smooth, and really sucks you in. Every part of the story felt true, from the backstory explanations, to the descriptions about the dark forces at work to the lovable characters masquerading as outcasts.
I liked Sophie. Her wit was sharp and biting, without being downright mean. Her voice felt like that of a true teenager, without being too cynical. I could think of people in my life that I could relate to most of the characters. The mean girl clique was just outrageous enough that you felt sorry for them while still sneering at them. The too pretty jock was written in such a way that you saw the softer side to him. The adults in this novel were also refreshing. I don't know what it is about stories that take place at boarding schools, but it never seems as if adults are around. Or if they are around, they're usually nincompoops who don't know anything. The adults in this novel seemed true to life as well. And that was refreshing.
So back to my library– I'm glad it's so awesome because I've put the second book on hold. Can't wait to get it in my greedy little hands.


This paranormal series was also a big happy surprise for me! Sophie is such a believable teen, with a great voice, and the author made the entire story so entertaining. Happy reading with books 2 and 3.
ReplyDelete:)
Thanks so much! I was happily surprised as well.
ReplyDelete