Title: Daphne and the Mysterious Girls Secret Bathroom Society
Author: Robert Shields
Author: Robert Shields
Release date: December 19, 2011
Publisher: self-published
Publisher: self-published
Pages:
Source: E-book from Author
Goodreads: {via}
Summary:
Following years of persecution at the hands of Vivica Vance, Daphne Downing levels the playing field wielding her No. 2 Ticonderoga pencil as she belatedly enters the world of witchcraft. Daphne becomes part of the Mysterious Girls’ Secret Bathroom Society and finds out that the politics governing witchcraft are daunting and sometimes deadly. She realizes she is aligned with the Charmers in this political battle with the Spiters led by her nemesis, Vivica. Along the way, she discovers that witches do not perform magic or witchcraft but a differentiated form of physics that only some women have mastered. The story deepens as she learns about the long history of witches’ domination and annihilation of wizards.
I went into this book not really knowing what to expect. I came away with a different way of looking at things.
Daphne and the Mysterious Girls Secret Bathroom Society tells the story of Daphne, who finds that she's in a world where witchcraft is real. Only this witchcraft is unlike anything she's ever experienced before through pop culture. There's no Hedwig, no magic wands, no pointy hat. It's just the witch, physics and a Ticonderoga pencil.
I enjoyed how Shields used something that's been done so much in popular literature, and completely made it his own. The backstory of how magic came to be was so interesting. The way of practicing spells and incantations while manipulating the very strains of physics was incredible.
The characters were good, if somewhat static. Our main character, Daphne, has a nemesis, Vi. I get that she doesn't like her, but I never completely understood why. Everyone was bullied at some point; there's generally something more than just one incident that makes you dislike a person so much. There also were quite a few characters that I felt were interchangeable. A large group would enter a scene, and names were thrown out left and right. I tried to mainly stick with the main characters, and feel my way through the story that way.
An interesting read that brought witchcraft into a new light.
I received an e-book courtesy of the author. This in no way impacted my review of the book.
Daphne and the Mysterious Girls Secret Bathroom Society tells the story of Daphne, who finds that she's in a world where witchcraft is real. Only this witchcraft is unlike anything she's ever experienced before through pop culture. There's no Hedwig, no magic wands, no pointy hat. It's just the witch, physics and a Ticonderoga pencil.
I enjoyed how Shields used something that's been done so much in popular literature, and completely made it his own. The backstory of how magic came to be was so interesting. The way of practicing spells and incantations while manipulating the very strains of physics was incredible.
The characters were good, if somewhat static. Our main character, Daphne, has a nemesis, Vi. I get that she doesn't like her, but I never completely understood why. Everyone was bullied at some point; there's generally something more than just one incident that makes you dislike a person so much. There also were quite a few characters that I felt were interchangeable. A large group would enter a scene, and names were thrown out left and right. I tried to mainly stick with the main characters, and feel my way through the story that way.
An interesting read that brought witchcraft into a new light.
I received an e-book courtesy of the author. This in no way impacted my review of the book.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!