Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Release date: April 24, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 327
Source: Southern Book Bloggers ARC Tour
Goodreads: {via}
Summary:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
Review:
The Selection definitely has a little je ne sais quoi behind it. It's kinda hard for me to put into words why I liked it so much. But, try I shall, because you need to read this book.
The Selection is like a mash-up of your favorite guilty (and some not so guilty) pleasures. Love reality tv? Especially The Bachelor and the Miss America Pageant? We've got the same vibe going on. Liked The Hunger Games and every dystopian (both good and bad) that followed it? We're set far into the future in this one – we've had a Fourth World War. Big fashion fan that lusts over fancy clothes and jewelry? Got that in heaps. Passionate for good writing, excellent storytelling and fantastic characters? That's all in here, plus more.
As you can see, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The storytelling was smooth and fluid, making for an easy read. Kiera Cass does an excellent job with worldbuilding; she creates a world that believable, yet far enough in the future that you're left to imagine it. There is a clear-cut caste system, ranging from Ones (royalty) to Eights (homeless vagabonds). I must admit it took me a while to get the hang of these castes, but once you figure out what each castes' jobs are, it goes pretty smoothly. Above it all, though, there's a definitely sense of hope surrounding Illea, which is something that I appreciated. In most dystopians, hope is a low commodity to those in charge.
Part of what brings hope to the reader is the characters. America Singer is a strong female character that definitely grew over the course of the novel. I always like characters that treat everyone as equal, regardless of stature within the community. America brings that to the table. So does Prince Maxon. I feel as if I would follow him if I was one of his subjects. He seems kind, fair and just. The other love interest, Aspen, is a Six, a caste lower than America, a Five. He seems to be hardworker and dedicated.
The romance between America and her two leading men was interesting. Honestly, there was no contest for me. I'm totally Team Maxon. He seemed caring and true, while I felt Aspen was a little too proud. I won't say much more on that, hoping that I won't taint your opinions, but I'd love to know what you think after you've read it.
A huge chunk of the book deals with the girls in The Selection (obviously....). There were some that I really enjoyed, like Marlee, while others, like Celeste, that I detested. Thirty five is a lot to remember, so I was glad that they were whittled away. Be warned that the book ends on a cliffhanger, so we don't know who wins the final prize yet. I'm actually quite happy about that, though, because it gives us a chance to really get to know the Elite better.
Other background characters that stood out include all three maids. I started out thinking of them much like Katniss thought of her prep team – somewhat frivolous, but loving – but came to see them in a much deeper light. I'm eager to find out more about them. I'm also incredibly eager to find out more about the royal family, especially the King and Queen. I hope we get to hear from Queen Amberly to see what her "feelings" are about The Selection, seeing as she went through it herself.
The Selection is a fun, wonderful novel. It has a gorgeous surface story, with a beautiful deeper undercurrent running through it. Can't wait for Book 2!
I received an ARC courtesy of Southern Book Bloggers ARC Tours and the author. This in no way impacted my review of the book.
The Selection is like a mash-up of your favorite guilty (and some not so guilty) pleasures. Love reality tv? Especially The Bachelor and the Miss America Pageant? We've got the same vibe going on. Liked The Hunger Games and every dystopian (both good and bad) that followed it? We're set far into the future in this one – we've had a Fourth World War. Big fashion fan that lusts over fancy clothes and jewelry? Got that in heaps. Passionate for good writing, excellent storytelling and fantastic characters? That's all in here, plus more.
As you can see, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The storytelling was smooth and fluid, making for an easy read. Kiera Cass does an excellent job with worldbuilding; she creates a world that believable, yet far enough in the future that you're left to imagine it. There is a clear-cut caste system, ranging from Ones (royalty) to Eights (homeless vagabonds). I must admit it took me a while to get the hang of these castes, but once you figure out what each castes' jobs are, it goes pretty smoothly. Above it all, though, there's a definitely sense of hope surrounding Illea, which is something that I appreciated. In most dystopians, hope is a low commodity to those in charge.
Part of what brings hope to the reader is the characters. America Singer is a strong female character that definitely grew over the course of the novel. I always like characters that treat everyone as equal, regardless of stature within the community. America brings that to the table. So does Prince Maxon. I feel as if I would follow him if I was one of his subjects. He seems kind, fair and just. The other love interest, Aspen, is a Six, a caste lower than America, a Five. He seems to be hardworker and dedicated.
The romance between America and her two leading men was interesting. Honestly, there was no contest for me. I'm totally Team Maxon. He seemed caring and true, while I felt Aspen was a little too proud. I won't say much more on that, hoping that I won't taint your opinions, but I'd love to know what you think after you've read it.
A huge chunk of the book deals with the girls in The Selection (obviously....). There were some that I really enjoyed, like Marlee, while others, like Celeste, that I detested. Thirty five is a lot to remember, so I was glad that they were whittled away. Be warned that the book ends on a cliffhanger, so we don't know who wins the final prize yet. I'm actually quite happy about that, though, because it gives us a chance to really get to know the Elite better.
Other background characters that stood out include all three maids. I started out thinking of them much like Katniss thought of her prep team – somewhat frivolous, but loving – but came to see them in a much deeper light. I'm eager to find out more about them. I'm also incredibly eager to find out more about the royal family, especially the King and Queen. I hope we get to hear from Queen Amberly to see what her "feelings" are about The Selection, seeing as she went through it herself.
The Selection is a fun, wonderful novel. It has a gorgeous surface story, with a beautiful deeper undercurrent running through it. Can't wait for Book 2!
I received an ARC courtesy of Southern Book Bloggers ARC Tours and the author. This in no way impacted my review of the book.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!