Title: Die for Me
Author: Amy Plum
Author: Amy Plum
Release date: May 10, 2011
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 341
Source: Nook Copy
Goodreads: {via}
Summary:
In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.
When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.
Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.
When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.
Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.
Review:
I might be the last person to read Die for Me. I was so pumped when I saw that it was a Nook Deal, and I definitely jumped at the chance to read it, especially before the next book comes out.
It was, quite honestly, different from anything that I've read. It has the basic paranormal story going on – girl falls in love with boy, boy has weird secret, girl comes into boy's life and never leaves – et cetera, et cetera. I mean that I haven't dealt very much with revenants. Zombies. Whatever you want to call them. I just don't do the undead. I could totally make an exception for Vincent and his kindred, though.
I must say that our protagonist, Kate, is much more open-minded than I am. I'm not sure that I would completely fall for a guy that's immortal. Not only immortal, but he dies, over and over again. That being said, I'm glad that Kate and I are different, because I enjoyed the story.
Vincent. Oh Vincent. Yes, there were some creepy, stalkerish tendencies. (Why do boys in YA paranormals have to wait outside their loves' windows? In the rain?) But he really was a sweet, redeeming character. He tries so hard to make his weird and confusing life less confusing for Kate. More special. Extraordinary, if you will.
I do have to add that my favorite character might be Ambrose, if only because he's from my hometown!
A few complaints – I wanted more backstory. The whole idea of being a revenant and being volant was just difficult for me to wrap my head around. I wanted to know more of why and how and if/then. Maybe we'll get it in the next book? We'll see. And was it just me, or did it seem like there might be a love triangle set up starting to happen? Maybe I've been reading too many books with love triangles, and am now seeing them where there aren't any.
Good book. Didn't blow my socks off as the first in a series, but laid some good, general framework.
It was, quite honestly, different from anything that I've read. It has the basic paranormal story going on – girl falls in love with boy, boy has weird secret, girl comes into boy's life and never leaves – et cetera, et cetera. I mean that I haven't dealt very much with revenants. Zombies. Whatever you want to call them. I just don't do the undead. I could totally make an exception for Vincent and his kindred, though.
I must say that our protagonist, Kate, is much more open-minded than I am. I'm not sure that I would completely fall for a guy that's immortal. Not only immortal, but he dies, over and over again. That being said, I'm glad that Kate and I are different, because I enjoyed the story.
Vincent. Oh Vincent. Yes, there were some creepy, stalkerish tendencies. (Why do boys in YA paranormals have to wait outside their loves' windows? In the rain?) But he really was a sweet, redeeming character. He tries so hard to make his weird and confusing life less confusing for Kate. More special. Extraordinary, if you will.
I do have to add that my favorite character might be Ambrose, if only because he's from my hometown!
A few complaints – I wanted more backstory. The whole idea of being a revenant and being volant was just difficult for me to wrap my head around. I wanted to know more of why and how and if/then. Maybe we'll get it in the next book? We'll see. And was it just me, or did it seem like there might be a love triangle set up starting to happen? Maybe I've been reading too many books with love triangles, and am now seeing them where there aren't any.
Good book. Didn't blow my socks off as the first in a series, but laid some good, general framework.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!