Tuesday, May 1, 2012

touch of frost



Title: Touch of Frost
Author: Jennifer Estep
Release date: August 1, 2011
Publisher: Kensington Publishing 
Pages: 350
Source: Library
Goodreads: {via}

Summary:
My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy—a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.

But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why—especially since I should have been the one who died. . .

Review:
Sometimes, I have a hard time with heroines that everyone loves. They might be too brave, too independent, or just too much. That was totally not the case with Gwen Frost in Touch of Frost. 

Jennifer Estep has created a wonderfully rounded, seemingly real girl who I could totally see myself in. She has doubts, she has insecurities and she's afraid of things. But all that is okay, because once she gets past her doubts, her fear and her clumsiness, she finds answers, solutions and ways to make things work. 

Estep's world that she built around Mythos Academy is fantastic. I have always loved myths, especially those centering on Greek gods and goddesses. I thought it was so neat how Estep took those characters, interwove them with other gods and goddesses from other cultures, and made it one world. I've never thought about it in those terms, and I love it!

The characters in this book, as mentioned before, are real. I honestly felt as if I could put names and faces to these characters from people in my own life. There are of course some stereotypical "mean girls" and "jocks," but once you get really into the meat of the story, you see that there are slight variations on them that makes you see the people in a completely new life. 

Toward the middle of the book, I felt that the mystery was unraveling a bit too fast. I felt that there was more storytelling left to do. Once I got closer to the end, though, I appreciated how new mysteries and unanswered questions were brought up and left to be answered in new books. 

Can't wait for book 2. Picking it up now.

2 comments:

  1. Happy you liked it! I am NOT a god/goddess YA fan, but I couldn't help but love Gwen. I can't wait for the third one to come out (its soon) so get a move on the sequel :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right. I finished the second one (review coming soon) and have started on the third one. Loving it so far.

      I'm trying to relish/rush it, because Insurgent came in today, too! Choices, choices.

      Delete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!