Title: Such a Rush
Author: Jennifer Echols
Author: Jennifer Echols
Release date: July 10, 2012
Publisher: MTV Books
Publisher: MTV Books
Pages: 325
Source: Southern Book Bloggers ARC Tours
Goodreads: {via}
Summary:
A sexy and poignant romantic tale of a young daredevil pilot caught between two brothers. When I was fourteen, I made a decision. If I was doomed to live in a trailer park next to an airport, I could complain about the smell of the jet fuel like my mom, I could drink myself to death over the noise like everybody else, or I could learn to fly.
Heaven Beach, South Carolina, is anything but, if you live at the low-rent end of town. All her life, Leah Jones has been the grown-up in her family, while her mother moves from boyfriend to boyfriend, letting any available money slip out of her hands. At school, they may diss Leah as trash, but she’s the one who negotiates with the landlord when the rent’s not paid. At fourteen, she’s the one who gets a job at the nearby airstrip.
But there’s one way Leah can escape reality. Saving every penny she can, she begs quiet Mr. Hall, who runs an aerial banner-advertising business at the airstrip and also offers flight lessons, to take her up just once. Leaving the trailer park far beneath her and swooping out over the sea is a rush greater than anything she’s ever experienced, and when Mr. Hall offers to give her cut-rate flight lessons, she feels ready to touch the sky.
By the time she’s a high school senior, Leah has become a good enough pilot that Mr. Hall offers her a job flying a banner plane. It seems like a dream come true . . . but turns out to be just as fleeting as any dream. Mr. Hall dies suddenly, leaving everything he owned in the hands of his teenage sons: golden boy Alec and adrenaline junkie Grayson. And they're determined to keep the banner planes flying. Though Leah has crushed on Grayson for years, she’s leery of getting involved in what now seems like a doomed business—until Grayson betrays her by digging up her most damning secret. Holding it over her head, he forces her to fly for secret reasons of his own, reasons involving Alec. Now Leah finds herself drawn into a battle between brothers—and the consequences could be deadly.
Heaven Beach, South Carolina, is anything but, if you live at the low-rent end of town. All her life, Leah Jones has been the grown-up in her family, while her mother moves from boyfriend to boyfriend, letting any available money slip out of her hands. At school, they may diss Leah as trash, but she’s the one who negotiates with the landlord when the rent’s not paid. At fourteen, she’s the one who gets a job at the nearby airstrip.
But there’s one way Leah can escape reality. Saving every penny she can, she begs quiet Mr. Hall, who runs an aerial banner-advertising business at the airstrip and also offers flight lessons, to take her up just once. Leaving the trailer park far beneath her and swooping out over the sea is a rush greater than anything she’s ever experienced, and when Mr. Hall offers to give her cut-rate flight lessons, she feels ready to touch the sky.
By the time she’s a high school senior, Leah has become a good enough pilot that Mr. Hall offers her a job flying a banner plane. It seems like a dream come true . . . but turns out to be just as fleeting as any dream. Mr. Hall dies suddenly, leaving everything he owned in the hands of his teenage sons: golden boy Alec and adrenaline junkie Grayson. And they're determined to keep the banner planes flying. Though Leah has crushed on Grayson for years, she’s leery of getting involved in what now seems like a doomed business—until Grayson betrays her by digging up her most damning secret. Holding it over her head, he forces her to fly for secret reasons of his own, reasons involving Alec. Now Leah finds herself drawn into a battle between brothers—and the consequences could be deadly.
Review:
This might be a shock to some, but I've never read one of Jennifer Echols' books before. {ducks} I know, I know. But I have to say, after reading Such a Rush, I know what all the fuss is about. Jennifer has added a new fan to her legion.
Leah has taken care of herself from the get-go. Her mother is a washed up, shell of a person, who leaves her for days (weeks, even...) on end, allowing her to fend for herself. She's not well-liked at school. Everyone considers her trailer trash, pure and simple. But Leah doesn't consider herself all trailer trash, especially when she's up in the air. Especially when she's flying.
The summer gig flying a banner plane for her mentor and boss, Mr. Hall, seems amazing. Too good to be true. And it almost is after Mr. Hall passes away. His teenage sons, Grayson and Alec, determined to keep the planes off the ground, are determined to run Mr. Hall's business. Grayson, for some strange reason, is the most determined one of all. So much so, that he blackmails Leah in a take-no-prisoners game of cat and mouse. Will the Summer end like Leah plans? What will the future hold?
I have absolutely nothing in common with Leah. I can't relate to her circumstances at all, nor the way that she gets what she wants by using her feminine wiles. But Jennifer Echols is such a fantastic writer that none of those things matter. What matters is that I'm rooting for Leah, being the "go gettum" heroine that she is. I care about what happens to her – whether it be her professional career, her budding relationship with one of the Hall boys, or the relationship with the townsfolk of Heaven Beach.
And there's a lot that can happen to her. She's not perfect by any means, so there are times when she takes one step forward, and moves two steps back. She's brash and brave and has moxie, but she also doesn't know when to keep her mouth shut.
Especially when it comes to the Hall brothers. Grayson, Leah's crush of a lifetime, is the "bad" boy of the two, while Alec is the "nice" one. Grayson blackmails Leah into a fake relationship with his brother, and it is incredibly funny to see the twists and turns that go into that scenario. Alec was cute and sweet, but Grayson was the real charmer to me. I loved seeing him grow as a person, even as his attraction to Leah was constantly blooming. Between those two things, it allowed for me, as the reader, to really see Leah in a whole new light.
This is one of those excellent boys made for Summer. I'll eagerly await Jennifer's next book.
Leah has taken care of herself from the get-go. Her mother is a washed up, shell of a person, who leaves her for days (weeks, even...) on end, allowing her to fend for herself. She's not well-liked at school. Everyone considers her trailer trash, pure and simple. But Leah doesn't consider herself all trailer trash, especially when she's up in the air. Especially when she's flying.
The summer gig flying a banner plane for her mentor and boss, Mr. Hall, seems amazing. Too good to be true. And it almost is after Mr. Hall passes away. His teenage sons, Grayson and Alec, determined to keep the planes off the ground, are determined to run Mr. Hall's business. Grayson, for some strange reason, is the most determined one of all. So much so, that he blackmails Leah in a take-no-prisoners game of cat and mouse. Will the Summer end like Leah plans? What will the future hold?
I have absolutely nothing in common with Leah. I can't relate to her circumstances at all, nor the way that she gets what she wants by using her feminine wiles. But Jennifer Echols is such a fantastic writer that none of those things matter. What matters is that I'm rooting for Leah, being the "go gettum" heroine that she is. I care about what happens to her – whether it be her professional career, her budding relationship with one of the Hall boys, or the relationship with the townsfolk of Heaven Beach.
And there's a lot that can happen to her. She's not perfect by any means, so there are times when she takes one step forward, and moves two steps back. She's brash and brave and has moxie, but she also doesn't know when to keep her mouth shut.
Especially when it comes to the Hall brothers. Grayson, Leah's crush of a lifetime, is the "bad" boy of the two, while Alec is the "nice" one. Grayson blackmails Leah into a fake relationship with his brother, and it is incredibly funny to see the twists and turns that go into that scenario. Alec was cute and sweet, but Grayson was the real charmer to me. I loved seeing him grow as a person, even as his attraction to Leah was constantly blooming. Between those two things, it allowed for me, as the reader, to really see Leah in a whole new light.
This is one of those excellent boys made for Summer. I'll eagerly await Jennifer's next book.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!