Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Digital Bulletin Boards

Have you ever come across a blog post, picture, or overarching idea in your searches through the internet and thought,
"I need to save that?"

I do it all the time. Recently, Yahoo! announced that they were shutting down their social bookmarking site, Delicious. This was a serious blow to my growing recipe collection, as well as fabulous finds that I love.


{via}

In my search for my next social bookmarking site, I decided that I would try Google Bookmarks. Now, generally, Google is a home run with whatever they do. I've talked about my love of Google products before -- I love my Google Reader, my Gmail, and my Google Calendar. But, Google Bookmarks? Not so much.
{via}

But, my friends, I have found my love. I have found the best (in my opinion) social bookmarking website that also appeals to my love of great photography and design and layout. I'm talking, of course, of Pinterest.

{via}

So what is Pinterest exactly? Pinterest is a digital bulletin board; inspiration boards, if you will. The site allows you to "pin" your favorite posts on your favorite sites. As I mentioned earlier, my growing recipe collection took a hit when Delicious decided it was closing. With Pinterest, though, the burgeoning collection has regained its footing.

One of the funnest things about Pinterest are the boards that you get to create. Much like categories on other social bookmarking sites, you can name and tag different pieces of information to different boards. I currently have 10 boards with 143 pins. These boards range from food "Home Cookin' Y'all" and "Cupcakes make me Squee" to design "Ideas of Flight and Fancy" to crafts that I would like to create at some point "The Project Queen."

Pinterest also allows you to browse other people's pins. It's so interesting to see what other people tag. While I might not personally ever try it, I do like looking and learning about new things. Who knew that you could make a cake entirely out of popcorn and M&Ms?

Have any of you tried Pinterest?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!