There's definitely a pattern to the books that I like. One genre that I love is Southern Chick Lit. Last year, I read the book The Help and fell in love.
Sometimes, I feel like people who go back and revisit Mississippi's negative past don't do anything more than stir up trouble. When I read The Help, though, I didn't feel that Stockett had done any of those things. I thought it shone a light on the past, yes, but I also thought that it showed that there are always good people in the world.
Apparently, though, not everyone feels that way. Including Stockett's own family and friends. Stockett is being sued. Read the full article here.
I would love to get your take on this subject. I can see both sides. Stockett definitely aired dirty laundry. She broke one of those Southern rules – we don't talk about money, politics, religion or race in polite company. But because she did, she let a whole new generation see how close some maids and nannies got with the children that they took care of. Who's side are you on?

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!