I read this great article entitled "Why Manners Matter More than Marketing." In it, the author talks about a horrible customer service experience his wife had. It got me to thinking about how we are here in the South, and I completely agree with his assessment.
In today's society, manners have somewhat become a thing of the past. Which is so sad, on so many levels. Instead of being something that can be tossed by the wayside, manners should be among the first thing (if not the first thing) that people know about you.
I know that I personally was instilled with a great need to say "Yes ma'am," "No ma'am," "Yes sir" and "No sir." I'm not even saying that I wish other people would carry on that tradition (although secretly, I do.) I'm talking about basic, common manners. You know, people holding doors open for other people. People smiling and saying, "How are you? How's your day been?"
In the business world, it could be something as simple as talking kindly to all, even those who you believe are beneath you. (For the record- I don't believe anyone is beneath anyone's attention.) If someone completes a task for you, you should say "Thank you."
Is this too much to ask? Have I been on my soap box long enough? What are your thoughts on the epidemic that is bad manners?
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!