Saturday, August 20, 2011

southernisms

I had a great discussion the other day regarding "Southernisms." (Thanks, Jessi!)

These are sayings that we've heard all our lives that mean something to us, but to others sound a little strange. I personally love Southernisms, even if they make me sound weird when I use them. And I use them a lot.

Here's just a quick list that we came up with. Can you think of any more to add? I'm sure I can ask my family and friends to tell me when I use a new one. They generally find my phrasing funny, so they would do it in a heartbeat.

1. bless your heart --> This is the ultimate Southern diss, wrapped in a compliment. In the South, people can say the worst thing about somebody, but if they preface it (or follow with it) it doesn't sound as bad.
"Well, you're just dumb, aren't you? Bless your heart."
"Bless her heart, she looks like she just rolled out of bed."

2. common as pig tracks --> Using improper behavior, which makes you look somewhat trashy.

3. oh, isn't he sweet --> Translation: that was kind of stoopid on your part, but I'll let it slide. Just this once.

4. well, that's precious. --> It's really not precious, but I'm a lady, and will keep this smile plastered on my face, as if I have Vasoline applied to my teeth.

5. Lord willing and the creek don't rise -->; Hopefully something will go my way, if only God will bless it and Mother Nature doesn't destroy any opportunities.

6. he's in a pickle --> he's in a bind. He's messed up somewhere along the line.

7. J'eet yet? --> Did you eat yet. I like our drawl as much as the next girl, but this one bugs me. Try to get at least one more syllable out of the question, and don't mash it all up.

8. The bigger the hair, the closer to God. --> That one is for you, Whitney!

What can you think of? I would love to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!