Sunday, August 28, 2011

power of six





So I'm not totally sure what to say about The Power of Six. I read I Am Number Four because I saw the movie with Alex Pettyfer and Dianna Argon. I enjoyed it, and wanted to see if the movies and books held true to each other.

I enjoyed I Am Number Four. I thought it opened up a new world to people while delving into different characters and their backstory. The Power of Six is a continuation of the story and picks up where Four did, (highlight to view spoiler) Henri has died, Six, Four and Sam are on the run away from Paradise, everyone is looking for them, etc. 
 We start the book with a new character, Marina, who's in an orphanage in Spain. She's Number Seven. Her Cepan, Adelina, has given up on their original mission, and has started to live the life of a Sister of the Abbey. This does not sit well with Marina, as she wants to leave the Abbey and the orphanage as soon as she can.

Within two or three chapters, we jump to the United States where we're reunited with Sam, Six and John, all of whom are still on the run. They're training, though, preparing for upcoming battles and trying to figure out the complex mystery that is the Lorian life through tools such as Henri's final letter and John's Chest.

I was excited to start this sequel. Honestly, though, it was an okay read for me. The story moved along at a nice pace, but because we jumped around a bit, I didn't feel like I was quite as invested in the characters this time. I felt like the characters never truly got a break from running, which left me as the reader somewhat tired and on edge.

Some of the other characters from Four were pulled in, although maybe not in ways that one might expect. We do see Sarah again.(Highlight to view spoiler) I'm still not totally convinced that Sarah had bad intentions when she turned them in to the FBI. It would have been interesting to see her side of the story instead of just hearing about it when she told John. She somewhat came off as whiney and jealous, which is not something that I expected. I wanted to feel more sympathy for her, because she had been through quite a bit. 

New characters were introduced (obviously with the narration switching from Marina to John and back again.) We meet the people in the town in Spain, including Hector and his mother, as well as other Sisters and orphans at the Abbey. We also meet Ella, who plays a large part in the story, something that I did not expect and did not see coming.

I felt that the ending was somewhat rushed, (highlight to view spoiler) especially the introduction of the other Garde members, such as Ella being number 10 (um, okay) and meeting Number Nine.  It will be interesting to see what the next book brings.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!