I was going through my Google Reader this morning, and happened upon a link to a blog that I don't follow. Turns out, it was to an author's blog of a pretty popular book. In this post of hers, she links to several other author's blogs, all talking about different themes and memes within the book industry and book blogging world.
One such author is the creator of a book that I've wanted to read for a while. It has an air of mystery and intrigue around it, and I've tried hard not to spoil myself too much. However, in the middle of this author's post, without warning was a huge spoiler alert. And now I know a big secret of the book that I think I would like to have found out about in a different way.
Now, don't get me wrong. I love spoilers for some things just as much as the next girl. When I'm bored, I usually check out sites like TVLine, EW.com or EOnline. I love spoiler chats for tv shows. I sometimes even love spoilers for movies and books. But there are some times when you don't want to be spoiled. Heck, there are some times when you want to be spoiled but you know you're really, really going to hate yourself after you've found out.
Some examples:
I saw Valentine's Day in theaters when it came out. Yeah, it wasn't the best story around, but it did have a couple of "shocking" twists, none of which were spoiled for me before I saw the film. The two main ones that I'm thinking about are (highlight to view spoiler) Julia Roberts being the boy's mother and Bradley Cooper being the love interest for Eric Dane. Saw the first one, didn't see the second one coming. At. All.
Saw Crazy, Stupid Love and didn't see the whole (highlight to view spoiler) Nana = Hannah and Emma Stone being the daughter of the guy who taught her dad how to be cool and suave and debonair. In other words, Emma Stone is Ryan Gosling's girlfriend AND Steve Carrell's daughter. Gasped. Literally gasped.
Read Sisterhood, Everlasting this Summer. (See review here.) So many things about this book left me dumbfounded for a time. (Highlight to view spoiler) Tibby dies! She had a debilitating disease. She had a daughter. She wanted to end things on her own terms. WOW!
Going old school. Remember (highlight to view spoiler) Chandler and Monica in bed together at the end of Season 4? Yeah.
I think you get the point. I'm a little upset that I came across this spoiler. How do you feel about spoilers in general? Spoilers for movies? Spoilers for books? Spoilers for tv shows?

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!