Forever is the last book in the Shiver trilogy by Maggie Stiefvater.
Spoilers for those who haven't read the first two: To quickly recap the first two books: Girl sees wolf, and is proprietary of wolf. Wolf is actually boy, and admires Girl from afar. Wolf changes into Boy form "for good," and is with Girl. (End Book 1) Girl and Boy are together, Girl's parents don't like Boy, fighting ensues, Girl becomes sick, Girl turns into Wolf, Boy is heartbroken. (End Book 2).
Forever starts with Sam and Cole. Sam's alone, because Grace has turned into a wolf. This has posed a big problem for Sam. Besides outright missing her, the townsfolk of Mercy Falls think that he's responsible for her disappearance. He's somewhat of an outsider to everyone, except for Cole, Isabel, and Karyn – not that he truly cares.
Grace is living the Wolf life. She's shifting in and out of her new/old body because she's still a new wolf. When she shifts, she remembers her old life fairly quickly. She always knows to call Isabel and Sam, but never her parents, whom she's still mad at. (They believe that she's dead, which makes Grace's decision seem a little harsh.)
The townsfolk are getting restless, and not just for answers. They want the wolves out, and will stop at nothing to have that done.
Forever was such a great conclusion to the trilogy. It had all I could ask for and more. After Linger , I was unsure what direction it was headed, but Maggie took it to a final place that just felt right. It didn't matter that I didn't know where it was headed– once I got to the end, it just fit.
The characters in this book were fleshed out and made so much more real. Sam and Grace have been fleshed out for a while now, but it wasn't until this book that I began to see different sides of Cole. I didn't really start to appreciate him, or even like him, until now. Isabel started to defrost for me a little in the second book, but I became emotionally invested in her in this book. I also liked how Maggie brought in a character that we had met before – Office Koenig – and made him mean so much. It was a nice twist, for sure. Shelby was a little flat for me, even though she always has been.
I will say, I still have the complaint that the parents in Mercy Falls suck. They're terrible. Isabel's mama had a redeeming moment, as did Amy Brisbane, but overall, they were terrible. I'm not excusing Grace or Isabel, or letting them off the hook for treating their parents like crap, but.... These family dynamics were totally screwed up.
A happy conclusion to a great trilogy.
Spoilers for those who haven't read the first two: To quickly recap the first two books: Girl sees wolf, and is proprietary of wolf. Wolf is actually boy, and admires Girl from afar. Wolf changes into Boy form "for good," and is with Girl. (End Book 1) Girl and Boy are together, Girl's parents don't like Boy, fighting ensues, Girl becomes sick, Girl turns into Wolf, Boy is heartbroken. (End Book 2).
Forever starts with Sam and Cole. Sam's alone, because Grace has turned into a wolf. This has posed a big problem for Sam. Besides outright missing her, the townsfolk of Mercy Falls think that he's responsible for her disappearance. He's somewhat of an outsider to everyone, except for Cole, Isabel, and Karyn – not that he truly cares.
Grace is living the Wolf life. She's shifting in and out of her new/old body because she's still a new wolf. When she shifts, she remembers her old life fairly quickly. She always knows to call Isabel and Sam, but never her parents, whom she's still mad at. (They believe that she's dead, which makes Grace's decision seem a little harsh.)
The townsfolk are getting restless, and not just for answers. They want the wolves out, and will stop at nothing to have that done.
Forever was such a great conclusion to the trilogy. It had all I could ask for and more. After Linger , I was unsure what direction it was headed, but Maggie took it to a final place that just felt right. It didn't matter that I didn't know where it was headed– once I got to the end, it just fit.
The characters in this book were fleshed out and made so much more real. Sam and Grace have been fleshed out for a while now, but it wasn't until this book that I began to see different sides of Cole. I didn't really start to appreciate him, or even like him, until now. Isabel started to defrost for me a little in the second book, but I became emotionally invested in her in this book. I also liked how Maggie brought in a character that we had met before – Office Koenig – and made him mean so much. It was a nice twist, for sure. Shelby was a little flat for me, even though she always has been.
I will say, I still have the complaint that the parents in Mercy Falls suck. They're terrible. Isabel's mama had a redeeming moment, as did Amy Brisbane, but overall, they were terrible. I'm not excusing Grace or Isabel, or letting them off the hook for treating their parents like crap, but.... These family dynamics were totally screwed up.
A happy conclusion to a great trilogy.


No comments:
Post a Comment
I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!