Maggie Stiefvater was one of those authors that I had heard about and never picked up anything from. Until I read The Scorpio Races .
Honestly, I'm not sure what took me so long to get into her writing.
She has a beautiful, flowy narrative. After reading Races, I wanted to
read some of her earlier work, mainly her widely-praised Shiver trilogy.
It did not disappoint.
Shiver , the first book in the trilogy, tells the story of a girl, a boy and a wolf. The girl, Grace, has an unusual fascination with the wolf pack that lives behind her house in Boundary Woods. One, in particular, she likes to think of as her wolf. There's something different about him – besides his yellow eyes – something that makes him almost human-like.
The wolf is a boy. The boy is a wolf. His name is Sam, and he considers Grace his, too. He saved her from his pack six years ago, and has been protecting her ever since. She's never noticed him in his human form. Until now.
Can the boy that's a wolf and the girl truly be together? Shiver takes us through the start of their journey.
I truly enjoyed this book. As I said earlier, Maggie has a great flowy style to her writing, and it moves with great ease. Told from alternating perspectives of both Grace and Sam, I loved the short chapters. You really got great insight into the whole story, as well as a peek into what each character was thinking.
I don't have a whole lot to complain about, but I do have two thinks that irked me. The first deals with Grace's parents. I know that not everyone has a great, wonderful, happy childhood. That being said, I'm not sure when it became the fashionable thing for YA authors to write parents that are somewhat dismissive of their children. They are not an active participant in their children's lives. The way that Grace's parents didn't notice things really bothered me. I understand that this was a plot device to draw Grace closer to Sam (because he felt like her family,) but come on.
My second complaint deals with Jack. I get that he would be angry. I would be angry, too, if I was bitten by a wolf. But did he have to be such a jerk about it? ( highlight to view spoiler) My other irritation has to do with his death. His parents thought he was dead, as did the whole town. Yet when he was sick with meningitis Grace and Isabel thought it was a good idea to just take him to the hospital? When he died, what did they do with his body? I didn't think about it while reading, but afterwards, while digesting the story, that little detail began to really irk me. Anybody else feel the same?
All in all, a great start to what should be a great trilogy. Starting to read Linger now.
Shiver , the first book in the trilogy, tells the story of a girl, a boy and a wolf. The girl, Grace, has an unusual fascination with the wolf pack that lives behind her house in Boundary Woods. One, in particular, she likes to think of as her wolf. There's something different about him – besides his yellow eyes – something that makes him almost human-like.
The wolf is a boy. The boy is a wolf. His name is Sam, and he considers Grace his, too. He saved her from his pack six years ago, and has been protecting her ever since. She's never noticed him in his human form. Until now.
Can the boy that's a wolf and the girl truly be together? Shiver takes us through the start of their journey.
I truly enjoyed this book. As I said earlier, Maggie has a great flowy style to her writing, and it moves with great ease. Told from alternating perspectives of both Grace and Sam, I loved the short chapters. You really got great insight into the whole story, as well as a peek into what each character was thinking.
I don't have a whole lot to complain about, but I do have two thinks that irked me. The first deals with Grace's parents. I know that not everyone has a great, wonderful, happy childhood. That being said, I'm not sure when it became the fashionable thing for YA authors to write parents that are somewhat dismissive of their children. They are not an active participant in their children's lives. The way that Grace's parents didn't notice things really bothered me. I understand that this was a plot device to draw Grace closer to Sam (because he felt like her family,) but come on.
My second complaint deals with Jack. I get that he would be angry. I would be angry, too, if I was bitten by a wolf. But did he have to be such a jerk about it? ( highlight to view spoiler) My other irritation has to do with his death. His parents thought he was dead, as did the whole town. Yet when he was sick with meningitis Grace and Isabel thought it was a good idea to just take him to the hospital? When he died, what did they do with his body? I didn't think about it while reading, but afterwards, while digesting the story, that little detail began to really irk me. Anybody else feel the same?
All in all, a great start to what should be a great trilogy. Starting to read Linger now.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!