First Date comes out January 10, 2012.
We are a culture obsessed with all things glittery. Bright lights, big
city, "reality" television that spawns celebutantes. Unfortunately, we
are a culture that sometimes put God on the back burner, especially when
it comes to what's cool and popular.
Fortunately for us, there are great books out there that gives us the best of both world. First Date is one of those fantastic books manages to do just that.
Addy Davidson is just your regular, average, middle of the road teenager. She's sweet, she's caring, but she's kind of plain. At least in her own eyes. When she's picked from 500 of her fellow classmates to be the the representative to go on Book of Love, the new reality tv show where the First Son gets to pick his Prom date, she doesn't understand. She's nobody special. Why choose her?
When she makes it into the top 30, after beating out 70 other girls, she really doesn't understand. Why would Jonathon Jackson, a high school athlete who gets to go to State Dinners, possibly choose her? Addy, as well as the reader, finds out why she shined to Jonathon as we go through the Book of Love.
First Date is a wonderful retelling of the Book of Esther. I must admit, it's been awhile since I read through the book of Esther, so I had to refresh my memory before I dove in. I certainly believe that Addy would make Esther proud. In my opinion, the circumstances surrounding the Book of Esther make it one of the harder Bible stories to modernize. Would today's audiences truly understand a King "divorcing" his wife, just because she didn't come when called? I don't think so. By putting the story into a context that audiences today could understand and relate to -- celebrity, fame and reality television, namely -- Krista McGee really hit the nail on the head.
McGee's writing was simple and fluid, which made for a lovely, sweet story. You really became invested in the story, and especially the characters. The characters were all very real -- Addy, our protagonist, is a usual teenagers, and has a few whiny moments here and there -- but are written in such a way that you feel connected to them regardless.
I would recommend this book for all fans of YA fiction, especially those addicted to reality television. It's a fun, "behind-the-scenes" fictional look at how a television show is run. Even if you haven't read the Book of Esther or the Bible, there's a great message that everyone can take away from Addy and her story.
Fortunately for us, there are great books out there that gives us the best of both world. First Date is one of those fantastic books manages to do just that.
Addy Davidson is just your regular, average, middle of the road teenager. She's sweet, she's caring, but she's kind of plain. At least in her own eyes. When she's picked from 500 of her fellow classmates to be the the representative to go on Book of Love, the new reality tv show where the First Son gets to pick his Prom date, she doesn't understand. She's nobody special. Why choose her?
When she makes it into the top 30, after beating out 70 other girls, she really doesn't understand. Why would Jonathon Jackson, a high school athlete who gets to go to State Dinners, possibly choose her? Addy, as well as the reader, finds out why she shined to Jonathon as we go through the Book of Love.
First Date is a wonderful retelling of the Book of Esther. I must admit, it's been awhile since I read through the book of Esther, so I had to refresh my memory before I dove in. I certainly believe that Addy would make Esther proud. In my opinion, the circumstances surrounding the Book of Esther make it one of the harder Bible stories to modernize. Would today's audiences truly understand a King "divorcing" his wife, just because she didn't come when called? I don't think so. By putting the story into a context that audiences today could understand and relate to -- celebrity, fame and reality television, namely -- Krista McGee really hit the nail on the head.
McGee's writing was simple and fluid, which made for a lovely, sweet story. You really became invested in the story, and especially the characters. The characters were all very real -- Addy, our protagonist, is a usual teenagers, and has a few whiny moments here and there -- but are written in such a way that you feel connected to them regardless.
I would recommend this book for all fans of YA fiction, especially those addicted to reality television. It's a fun, "behind-the-scenes" fictional look at how a television show is run. Even if you haven't read the Book of Esther or the Bible, there's a great message that everyone can take away from Addy and her story.
I received an e-galley courtesy of Thomas Nelson Fiction and NetGalley. This in no way impacted my review of the book.


This one is coming up in my to be read pile, so your review made me excited to get to it. I'll probably re-read Esther beforehand too.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the review :)
I've seen a few reviews for this one. It looks super cute! I must admit, I'm totally addicted to reality tv so this one will be right up my ally!
ReplyDeleteOh y'all should definitely check it out. It's super cute, and kind of gives a "behind the scenes" vibe, which I loved.
ReplyDelete