Title: Inheritance
Author: Christopher Paolini
Author: Christopher Paolini
Release date: November 8, 2011
Publisher: Random House
Publisher: Random House
Pages: 860
Source: Purchased
Goodreads: {via}
Summary:
Not so very long ago, Eragon--Shadeslayer, Dragon Rider--was nothing more than a poor farm boy, and his dragon, Saphira, only a blue stone in the forest. Now the fate of an entire civilization rests on their shoulders.
Long months of training and battle have brought victories and hope, but they have also brought heartbreaking loss. And still, the real battle lies ahead: they must confront Galbatorix. When they do, they will have to be strong enough to defeat him. And if they cannot, no one can. There will be no second chances.
The Rider and his dragon have come further than anyone dared to hope. But can they topple the evil king and restore justice to Alagaesia? And if so, at what cost?
Review:
I kind of have a thing against series-ending books. I don't know if it's because of the massive build up over the course of the series, or the fact that I've resolved the story in my head, but whenever I read a series-ender, I'm just kind of "meh" about it.
Inheritance kinda/sorta falls into that category. Christopher Paolini has created this fantastic, magical world that readers everywhere have fallen into. Readers everywhere have also been waiting (some less patiently than others) for the fourth and final book of this series to come out. It finally did, and I can't say that I'm entirely pleased.
We did get resolution on several fronts. We did have questions answered. At the same time, we didn't get resolution on some very important fronts (at least, I don't feel like I did...) and there were scads more questions to be answered. I know that authors don't want to completely close the door on the characters they've made, (they always might come back to them, right?) but gosh, I wanted more. On one hand, I wanted a firmer resolution to the Eragon/Arya storyline. On the other hand, I didn't want as much resolution to the Eragon growing up and becoming the man that everyone wants him to be storyline.
Again, I know that I'm just being whiny. This book was beautifully written, and it is certainly a masterful tale that Paolini has woven through the years. It's something that will certainly stand the test of time, and many re-readings over. Maybe on one of my re-readings I will grow to like it more than when I finished it.


I loved the original movie you took me to see.
ReplyDelete