Title: The Iron King
Author: Julie Kagawa
Author: Julie Kagawa
Release date: February 1, 2010
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 363
Source: Library
Goodreads: {via}
Summary:
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.
Review:
Julie Kagawa's new series The Immortal Rules is coming out soon, and everyone is raving about it and Kagawa's writing style. I'm behind on the times, and haven't even read the Iron Fey series, so I figured it was high time to catch up.
I put this book on hold from my library. To make an incredibly long story short(er) they gave me the fourth book in the trilogy, not the first. Thankfully,The Iron King was a digital download through the library as well, so I got a chance to read it. I flew through it. I was surprised at 1) how much I liked it and 2) how much faery legend I knew.
I love Fairy Tales. Faery tales, while they interest me, don't always treat me right. I don't like dark, vengeful characters, and most faeries seem to be the trickster sort. But what makes me normally not like something is what made me sit up and take notice in this book. The characters were fantastic – all the old "standards," if you will, are there. I have never read Shakespeare'sMidsummer Night's Dream, but I did know enough of the legends to know who the King and Queen were, as well as Puck, aka Robin Goodfellow. I knew who Queen Mab was, and I knew some of the rules, such as never eating anything while in the presence of fey.
What I didn't know about the faery world, I quickly learned. There are so many creatures out there, and I loved how Kagawa wove them in seamlessly. Prince Ash was a nice surprise, and I can't wait to learn more about him, where he comes from, and his back story. Same goes for Puck, honestly.
This was a good start to what seems to be a fun series. From what I can tell, the books only get better from here.
I put this book on hold from my library. To make an incredibly long story short(er) they gave me the fourth book in the trilogy, not the first. Thankfully,The Iron King was a digital download through the library as well, so I got a chance to read it. I flew through it. I was surprised at 1) how much I liked it and 2) how much faery legend I knew.
I love Fairy Tales. Faery tales, while they interest me, don't always treat me right. I don't like dark, vengeful characters, and most faeries seem to be the trickster sort. But what makes me normally not like something is what made me sit up and take notice in this book. The characters were fantastic – all the old "standards," if you will, are there. I have never read Shakespeare'sMidsummer Night's Dream, but I did know enough of the legends to know who the King and Queen were, as well as Puck, aka Robin Goodfellow. I knew who Queen Mab was, and I knew some of the rules, such as never eating anything while in the presence of fey.
What I didn't know about the faery world, I quickly learned. There are so many creatures out there, and I loved how Kagawa wove them in seamlessly. Prince Ash was a nice surprise, and I can't wait to learn more about him, where he comes from, and his back story. Same goes for Puck, honestly.
This was a good start to what seems to be a fun series. From what I can tell, the books only get better from here.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!