Thursday, August 30, 2012

shining the light

There are some books out there that people love. Absolutely love and obsess over. I will totally admit to fangirling over several books and/or series. On the flip side, there are some books and series that I never got into nearly as much as others who loved them.

I guess it's time to shine a light on these so-called "not" favorites of mine that everyone else loves. Please don't hurt me...

Hugo is one of those books that I listened to. I'm sure I'm totally missing something without the amazing drawings, but I never felt connected with this story or the characters. In fact, I got creeped out by the whole animatronic human thing.

This is going to be a big deal to admit that I didn't like.... The Mortal Instruments series. I've heard good things about her new series. People tell me that even though I didn't like TMI, I would like the new ones. But I don't know that I will. I can't really even explain why I didn't like Mortal Instruments to begin with. We just didn't click, I guess.

I also didn't click with Katsa in Graceling. It was an interesting story – I'll give you that. Maybe I'm just not a high fantasy girl. The ending, especially, left me wanting more, and I just came away feeling ehh about it. I have Fire on my shelves, and really have no desire to read it.

I liked Crossed so much better than Matched, so I began to see how people were so impressed with that series. I'm glad I read the second one, because like Graceling, I was just lukewarm to Matched. It felt like not a lot happened, even though there was a revolution happening.

So what brought this on? I had a conversation with one of my friends about one of my all time favorite books. He basically said he didn't see why I liked it so much. I started to fight it, then realized to each his own. 

So here I am, shining the light on books that others might love that I don't. They are all amazing in their own right, and I mean no harm or disrespect. They just weren't for me. 

So in a twist, I want to ask you, dear readers, what book that I've gushed about did you just not click with? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!