Title: Amber House
Author: Kelly Moore, Tucker Reed and Larkin Reed
Author: Kelly Moore, Tucker Reed and Larkin Reed
Release date: October 1, 2012
Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books
Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books
Pages: 368
Source: Around The World ARC Tours
Goodreads: {via}
Summary:
"I was sixteen the first time my grandmother died . . ."
Sarah Parsons has never seen Amber House, the grand Maryland estate that's been in her family for three centuries. She's never walked its hedge maze nor found its secret chambers; she's never glimpsed the shades that haunt it, nor hunted for lost diamonds in its walls.
But all of that is about to change. After her grandmother passes away, Sarah and her friend Jackson decide to search for the diamonds--and the house comes alive. She discovers that she can see visions of the house's past, like the eighteenth-century sea captain who hid the jewels, or the glamorous great-grandmother driven mad by grief. She grows closer to both Jackson and a young man named Richard Hathaway, whose family histories are each deeply entwined with her own. But when the visions start to threaten the person she holds most dear, Sarah must do everything she can to get to the bottom of the house's secrets, and stop the course of history before it is cemented forever.
Sarah Parsons has never seen Amber House, the grand Maryland estate that's been in her family for three centuries. She's never walked its hedge maze nor found its secret chambers; she's never glimpsed the shades that haunt it, nor hunted for lost diamonds in its walls.
But all of that is about to change. After her grandmother passes away, Sarah and her friend Jackson decide to search for the diamonds--and the house comes alive. She discovers that she can see visions of the house's past, like the eighteenth-century sea captain who hid the jewels, or the glamorous great-grandmother driven mad by grief. She grows closer to both Jackson and a young man named Richard Hathaway, whose family histories are each deeply entwined with her own. But when the visions start to threaten the person she holds most dear, Sarah must do everything she can to get to the bottom of the house's secrets, and stop the course of history before it is cemented forever.
Review:
This is what I get for trying to break out of my reading comfort zone. Amber House by Kelly Moore, Tucker Reed and Larkin Reed, is one thrill ride of a horror story. It's intense, suspenseful and chillbump-inducing.
Sarah, our protagonist, comes to Amber House at the beginning of the story for her grandmother's funeral. Her mother doesn't want to be there, and more importantly, doesn't want to stay long at all. Sarah, though, with the help of her younger brother, convince their mother to let them stay the duration at Amber House. And that's when things start to get seriously creepy.
There are two semi-mysterious boys in Sarah's life, thanks to Amber House. The two, Jackson and Richard, are part of a complicated dance with Sarah. I wanted to learn a little more about each of them as I kept reading, until I got to a point where I realized why I hadn't been given all the information. Definitely interesting.
Horror novels and movies have never been my thing. I'm totally the one that sits watching scary movies with my hands over my eyes and ears. If I could have read this novel that way, I would have. There were classic elements of horror: visions in mirrors, movements of people from the corner of your eyes, wet footprints, and that sinking, awful feeling of being watched. Intense, I tell you.
But, still, oh so good. Beyond all the horror elements, at this book's heart lies a story about family. This book tells the story of family and what it means to each, individual person, as well as the ripples and echoes that we leave behind – not just in our loved one's memories, but in situations and places, too. Very thought provoking once I wrapped my head around it.
All in all, an interesting and creepy read. I don't know that I can necessarily say I enjoyed it, but I did appreciate it. Check it out.
Sarah, our protagonist, comes to Amber House at the beginning of the story for her grandmother's funeral. Her mother doesn't want to be there, and more importantly, doesn't want to stay long at all. Sarah, though, with the help of her younger brother, convince their mother to let them stay the duration at Amber House. And that's when things start to get seriously creepy.
There are two semi-mysterious boys in Sarah's life, thanks to Amber House. The two, Jackson and Richard, are part of a complicated dance with Sarah. I wanted to learn a little more about each of them as I kept reading, until I got to a point where I realized why I hadn't been given all the information. Definitely interesting.
Horror novels and movies have never been my thing. I'm totally the one that sits watching scary movies with my hands over my eyes and ears. If I could have read this novel that way, I would have. There were classic elements of horror: visions in mirrors, movements of people from the corner of your eyes, wet footprints, and that sinking, awful feeling of being watched. Intense, I tell you.
But, still, oh so good. Beyond all the horror elements, at this book's heart lies a story about family. This book tells the story of family and what it means to each, individual person, as well as the ripples and echoes that we leave behind – not just in our loved one's memories, but in situations and places, too. Very thought provoking once I wrapped my head around it.
All in all, an interesting and creepy read. I don't know that I can necessarily say I enjoyed it, but I did appreciate it. Check it out.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!