Title: Because It Is My Blood
Author: Gabrielle Zevin
Author: Gabrielle Zevin
Release date: September 18, 2012
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Pages: 368
Source: Around the World ARC Tours
Goodreads: {via}
Summary:
“Every time I think I’m out, they pull me back in.”- Michael Corleone, The Godfather
Since her release from Liberty Children's Facility, Anya Balanchine is determined to follow the straight and narrow. Unfortunately, her criminal record is making it hard for her to do that. No high school wants her with a gun possession charge on her rap sheet. Plus, all the people in her life have moved on: Natty has skipped two grades at Holy Trinity, Scarlet and Gable seem closer than ever, and even Win is in a new relationship.But when old friends return demanding that certain debts be paid, Anya is thrown right back into the criminal world that she had been determined to escape. It’s a journey that will take her across the ocean and straight into the heart of the birthplace of chocolate where her resolve--and her heart--will be tested as never before.
Since her release from Liberty Children's Facility, Anya Balanchine is determined to follow the straight and narrow. Unfortunately, her criminal record is making it hard for her to do that. No high school wants her with a gun possession charge on her rap sheet. Plus, all the people in her life have moved on: Natty has skipped two grades at Holy Trinity, Scarlet and Gable seem closer than ever, and even Win is in a new relationship.But when old friends return demanding that certain debts be paid, Anya is thrown right back into the criminal world that she had been determined to escape. It’s a journey that will take her across the ocean and straight into the heart of the birthplace of chocolate where her resolve--and her heart--will be tested as never before.
Review:
Anya Balanchine and the rest of her crew are back in Because It Is My Blood,the second book in the Birthright series.
I don't know what it is about the mob, but combined with a "dystopian" future, I am totally hooked. Maybe it's because this seems like a future that could happen – everyday things that we consider normal are illegal in the future, and language that we use today is lost a hundred years from now. Whatever the case may be, I love it.
The story begins as Anya is being released from Liberty. Her family is in shambles. Her personal life is in shambles. Win's father, Charles Delacroix's campaign is in shambles. Makes for an interesting jumping off point, huh?
One thing that I love about this series is Anya herself. She's tough, and a real go-getter, but she's just a girl, too. She's scared. She gets lonely. She misses her parents and her grandmother. She's confused and doesn't know what to do. She's not too tough, but she's not too weak, either. She's the kind of girl that picks herself up by her boot straps and moves on accordingly. Because she knows she has to.
I don't want to give too much away, especially in case you haven't read the first book, but this book meshes well with the first book. The story line flows well, and characters are given just enough introduction to remind you who they are without irritating you that you have to read something you already knew.
Gabrielle Zevin did a great job with this book. I can't wait for Book 3, so I can see how the saga will continue to play out.
I don't know what it is about the mob, but combined with a "dystopian" future, I am totally hooked. Maybe it's because this seems like a future that could happen – everyday things that we consider normal are illegal in the future, and language that we use today is lost a hundred years from now. Whatever the case may be, I love it.
The story begins as Anya is being released from Liberty. Her family is in shambles. Her personal life is in shambles. Win's father, Charles Delacroix's campaign is in shambles. Makes for an interesting jumping off point, huh?
One thing that I love about this series is Anya herself. She's tough, and a real go-getter, but she's just a girl, too. She's scared. She gets lonely. She misses her parents and her grandmother. She's confused and doesn't know what to do. She's not too tough, but she's not too weak, either. She's the kind of girl that picks herself up by her boot straps and moves on accordingly. Because she knows she has to.
I don't want to give too much away, especially in case you haven't read the first book, but this book meshes well with the first book. The story line flows well, and characters are given just enough introduction to remind you who they are without irritating you that you have to read something you already knew.
Gabrielle Zevin did a great job with this book. I can't wait for Book 3, so I can see how the saga will continue to play out.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!