Thursday, July 5, 2012

taking stock {part 3}

{Have you read part 1 and 2? This is part of my So Far in 2012 series.} 


It's been quite the year for retellings. I've always heard that there are no new ideas, only new ways in which the same ideas are told. Whatever the case may be, I have loved these new twists and turns that these authors have put on some of my favorite stories. 


I feel like this can almost be played like a game of "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon." Without further ado, I present...


The Retellings of 2012 {So Far}...
Pretty Crooked by Elisa Ludwig, which is a modern retelling of Robin Hood. Another retelling of Robin Hood came out this year – 
Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen 
We have had two Cinderella stories this year, too. Cinder by Marissa Meyer came out, as did
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Classical works were retold, as we saw by the loose retelling of Romeo and Juliet in When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle and Jane Austen's Persuasion in For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund. 



Action and adventure were available in spades in both Underworld by Meg Cabot, which is a retelling of the Greek myth of Persephone and Hades, and Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson, which is a retelling of Peter Pan. 


What retellings have you read so far? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by!